Well, we're already half way through our 6 weeks together. If you have any feedback to share as far as how things are going with you/your mentee/the process please don't hesitate to reach me. Email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or a call (763-744-7369) would be great.
Before you take a look at Week 4, I invite you to read a great blog I recently encountered. Perhaps it may be of some insight/help for you, check it out - Middle Schoolers don't know that middle school sucks!
Lent – Thin Places
-Start your meeting together by sharing your highs and lows from the last week.
-Then dive in to the discussion starters for this week.
-Included again is a Bible reading & some questions if you'd like to go that route.
Remember to pray together & be ready to worship at 7:00!
- The farthest away I have ever been is…
- How does your involvement with church help shape your faith? What do you think you would be like without being a part of a church community?
- Could a person sustain (keep it going) their faith without ever going to worship or being part of a church? Why/Why not?
- How would you illustrate your relationship with Jesus? What does it look like? How close/far apart are you? What do you do together?
- When you don’t feel close to God (or that you feel He isn’t close)…Where are you? Where do you think God is?
- What is one puzzling question you have about God or your faith?
- Can you share about a time your faith seemed especially weak or low? What was going on & how did you get through it? Can these hard times end up drawing us closer to God?
- Did you ever pray & feel that your prayer wasn’t answered? How did you feel?
- Note – God always hears our prayers. However, His answers are not always what we want them to be!
- Has there ever been a time you felt that God had abandoned you?
- On the flip side, can you think of an experience that caused you to thank God for His care?
- Respond to this verse (what do you think of it?),
- We know that all things work together for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose. –Romans 8:28
Bible reading & Discussion
Open your Bibles to Luke 13:1-9. Read it out loud together.
- Jesus’ followers were trying to make sense of some scary current events. Is there anything happening in the world that worries you?
- Repent means to apologize for doing something wrong. Lent is a time to repent. Who are some people that need to hear you say, “I’m sorry?”
- Fig trees grow to be over 30 feet tall. Imagine the process of cutting down a large tree. What are some challenges you might face?
- What does it mean to bear fruit in your life? How can your church family help you bear good fruit?
Prayer time – Pray for each other’s highs & lows.
Dear God, thank you for (highs). Please be with us as we deal with (lows).
In Jesus’ name we pray, amen.